Often, it is in our nature as women to put others before ourselves. Women feel pressure to provide for every need of other people. This causes us to fall into the trap of saying ‘yes’ all the time even to the things that we really don’t have time for, enjoy doing, or serve to help us achieve our goals.
The tendency to be a ‘Yes’ Person stems from a place of wanting to please everyone, do a good job, and make a good impression. However, always saying ‘yes’ you down a treacherous stream of resentment, unhappiness, and burn out.
In your Virtual Assistant business, it is easy to fall into the trap of saying ‘yes’ all the time because you fear you will lose clients or clients won’t like working with you because you don’t provide all the services they need. Or you worry you won’t get other clients, so you accept clients who cause you more stress.
However, most of the time the best gift you can give yourself, and ultimately your clients, is to focus on your own needs and goals. Focusing your energy on taking care of yourself give you the ability and strength to better serve others. In your virtual assistant business, when you make the decision to say no to clients or services that don’t help you achieve your goals, your business will ultimately become more successful.
You will better serve your clients.
- You carve out an area of specialization: The biggest mistake you can make as a virtual assistant is not choosing an area of specialization. It is impossible to be an expert at every service a client may need. Therefore, if you say yes to every task a client may need, you are doing your business and your client a disservice. Instead, by choose a few services that you truly enjoy providing as your area of specialization, you give yourself the opportunity to truly become an expert in those services. This, inevitably, will benefit your clients and your own business.
- You’re able to be selective about who you’ll work with: It’s important to remember that this is your business—you’re the boss. Therefore, you have the freedom to choose who you will work with and who you won’t. Instead of saying yes to any potential client, the best gift you can give yourself is to work with clients who appreciate the expertise you bring to the services you provide and who are willing to pay you what you deserve.
- You’re able to take charge, be proactive, and get things done: There’s nothing your clients will appreciate more than your expertise and ability to take charge without having to walk you through every little task. When you’re choosy about who you work for and what you do, you’re an expert who can anticipate what your clients need, make their lives easier, and help them achieve their goals.
Benefits of better serving your clients to grow your virtual assistant business: You make yourself more marketable, sought after, and respected. You establish your business one where the owner is highly skilled at what she does and is an asset to assisting others in achieving their goals. As a result, you will attract high paying clients who appreciate and demand your expertise. It is a WIN-WIN.
You will be happier and more productive.
- You avoid burnout: By saying no when the client or service doesn’t fit your business, you’re able to focus on the tasks and clients you enjoy. Just as it does in your personal life, being a “Yes Person” causes you to overbook, spread yourself too thin, and burn out. You started a Virtual Assistant business to avoid this, and as a Virtual Assistant, you have the freedom to stay out of this trap and choose the path that gives you the greatest satisfaction.
- You are in control: You likely started your own business because you wanted more freedom, and you had goals and a mission that you want your business to achieve. By being selective about the clients you take on and the services you provide, you empower yourself to make your decisions based on what is best for your business and your life.
- You are more productive: You free yourself from completing tasks that you don’t enjoy, therefore, what you do really fulfills you. Fulfillment leads to pride in your accomplishments and success. Thus, you free yourself of the resentment and stress that stifles your productivity. Instead, you get to love what you do every day.
Benefits of being happier and more productive: You get to make money doing what you love and you’re able to enjoy your life, your family, your hobbies, and your job!
How to Empower Yourself to Say ‘NO’:
- Keep your eye on your goals and say no to anything that doesn’t help you achieve your goals.
- Remember that when you help your clients achieve their goals, you will attract high paying clients who appreciate your expertise.
- Don’t forget that your happiness and fulfillment of your own dreams are important.
Are you someone who struggles with saying ‘no’ and always ends up overtired, overworked, and burnt out? To learn how I can help you be proactive about saying “no” in order to achieve your goals and grow your Virtual Assistant business, apply for a free MORE Clients MORE Profits Breakthrough Session with me now at http://expertvatraining.com/free-strategy-session/.